“I don’t believe society understands what happens when everything is available, knowable and recorded by everyone all the time” – Google Chairman Eric Schmidt told the Wall Street Journal 8-14-10.
“We know where you are. We know where you’ve been. We can more or less know what you’re thinking about;” – Google Chairman Eric Schmidt 10-1-10 per the Atlantic.
Privacy problems with today’s internet:
- Your ISP knows everything about your online activity
- Websites knows you physical location and have data about you. Can trace how often you visit and more
- You are constantly watched and your data is been recorded
“Even if you’re not doing anything wrong, you are being watched and recorded” – Edward Snowden
Online Security Problem:
- You could land up in phishing website that looks exactly like your bank website or facebook or the one you frequently visit and end-up giving your credentials
- Identity theft is a serious issue and anyone who doesn’t take precaution is putting themselves at risk of becoming the next victim.
“I always tell people that if you haven’t had your identity stolen already, you will,’ ‘There are just so many outlets and so many ways it can happen.” – Mike Sullivan, director of education for Take Charge America
Multi Device Problems:
“Average number of devices per person is 2.5 in developed countries” – statista
- No centralized way to get online privacy or security
- Each device needs to have some kind of app/installation if we wish to stay secure
- Management cost of protecting all devices is high
- There are devices which connect to Internet, however there is no control over installing any security software. e.g. TV, XBOX, Apple TV, Chromecast and other boxed devices.
Solution: Privacy On Top
Solution: Privacy On Top
Privacy on top is the feature rich firmware/software for your Wi-Fi router which offers online privacy and security to connected devices.
It exposes two separate Wi-Fi from the router, one Wi-Fi for online security and other for online privacy/anonymity.
Privacy On Top is built using open source OpenWRT operating system that runs on Wi-Fi router. OpenWRT turns your ordinary router to smart router by providing customizable functionality.
Privacy On Top uses TOR Network for privacy. TOR protects you by bouncing your network traffic around a distributed network of relays run by volunteers all around the world: it prevents somebody watching your Internet connection from learning what sites you visit, and it prevents the sites you visit from learning your physical location. Visit TorProject for more details on how Tor protects you online.
Privacy on Top also gives you advantage of OpenDNS and DNScrypt. Which in simple words means online security. OpenDNS helps prevent identity theft, blocks phishing sites and bad websites. It speeds up your existing internet connection. You can visit OpenDNS for more information about how you can get online security with it.
“Securing the device is not enough anymore, you need to secure network. Centralized network security solution to protect all home/office devices is future” – Mangesh Bhamre CTO, Open Netware
Why Privacy on Top?
What you do over Internet can be easily tracked by interested parties like your ISP, government, websites you visit, hackers etc. Your online privacy is at stake. Your physical location can be exposed and your browsing patterns can be learnt as you use Internet.
You are not safe online. Many times, you come across phishing sites or unnecessary ads bothers your security. Who knows, your ISP or hacker may be sitting in between you and your sites and reading the data you send over internet.
CUSTOM FEATURE RICH FIRMWARE
Your existing firmware offers only limited set of features which are developed by your router’s manufacturer. Also existing firmware is vulnerable to common attacks. Your router is way too smart device than you think it is. The only thing lacking in that device is smart operating system. Using new firmware you can your router with full throttle.
How to get Privacy On Top ?
Open Netware has built an android app that can be downloaded here. App guides you to detect, install and setup your Wi-Fi router with new firmware.
Privacy On Top App does following steps –
- Pre-Install check to see if you are connected to Wi-Fi and that required disk space exist to download firmware
- Detects router based on MAC address and Web Interface
- Downloads appropriate firmware and installs it using web interface on Wi-Fi router
- Reboots the router and setup up new SSIDs with new password
- Connects you to newly configured Wi-Fi
“Privacy On Top is unique solution to your privacy and security at home/office/travel. All your data gets encrypted as it leaves from your Wi-Fi router ensuring no one can snoop it”
What is TOR and Why we use TOR Network to get privacy?
Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security. Read more here.
Reference – https://www.torproject.org
TOR is trusted name in anonymity and privacy. Your data gets encrypted between Wi-Fi router and TOR-exit nodes and thus all kind of network traffic is been protected from ISP and intermediate gateways.
Using TOR does not log any info similar to other privacy techniques e.g VPN and thus TOR is our preferred way of providing privacy.
Who use TOR?
- Family & Friends – People like you and your family use Tor to protect themselves, their children, and their dignity while using the Internet.
- Businesses – Businesses use Tor to research competition, keep business strategies confidential, and facilitate internal accountability.
- Activist – Activists use Tor to anonymously report abuses from danger zones. Whistleblowers use Tor to safely report
- Media – Journalists and the media use Tor to protect their research and sources online.
- Military and law enforcements – Militaries and law enforcement use Tor to protect their communications, investigations, and intelligence gathering online.
Reference – https://www.torproject.org
What is OpenDNS / DNSCrypt & Why we use it ?
OpenDNS is company that provides secure DNS (Domain name system) service. In simple terms, they categorize websites as good and bad. If you are trying to visit a website that is bad then OpenDNS blocks you from visiting that site.
- It provides protection against phishing thereby blocking you from visiting fraudulent bank websites .
- In addition OpenDNS makes browsing faster and smarter.
- OpenDNS and DNSCrypt is free. You can get more features of OpenDNS if you upgrade for premium account.
What is OpenWRT & Why we use it?
Privacy On Top firmware is built using open source Linux operating system called OpenWRT. It is secured and community of people help is to make it secure everyday.
We have further secured Wi-Fi router by taking care of all common attacks known to newly purchased router.
- Wi-Fi passwords are long and complex.
- Password for admin is auto-generated when you setup the router and is unique and long enough for any sorts of login attacks.
- Wi-Fi security is set to highest encryption standard i.e. WPA2-AES
Software Stack on Wi-Fi Router:
Privacy On Top Website:
Android App Download Link:
“Privacy On Top is Centralized way of protecting all your network devices at home”
Post Image source: Common.Wikimedia.org